Tuning issue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Has anyone experienced a tuning issue? I have just begun to use soundjack today, connected with a fellow musician, but hear his notes two semitones above my own. His A note is my B. He however hears my A as an A. Very confused. Any help would be welcome. Thanks.

(@)

Make both sure that you both use 48 KHz sampling rate because this is the only sample rate SoundJack can use.
    Under Windows some built-in hardware might not be able to use 48 KHz, but ASIO4ALL can resample 44.1 to 48 KHz if the option is enabled.

My quick guess is that your fellow musician uses 44.1 KHz sampling rate that gets playbacked quicker on your machine with 48 KHz sampling rate which leads to a transposition interval almost in the middle between a minor and a major second.
    Maybe a resampling is made on one side, so the note stays in tune, but not on the other one. Anyway, if a resampling would not happen on both sides, he should hear your A as a G.
    I’m a bit irritated too, but that seems to be the closest explanation to your problem I can find.

If my guess (or another ones hint) was right, please write it down here, so that others know the solution if they encounter the same problem.
    Good luck!

(@)

Thank you Jorg. I’ll test your theory tomorrow when my friend and I can get together again. Then I’ll report back to this thread. Fingers crossed!

(@)

Jorg, your informed speculations were correct. My musician friend was using a Zoom H4 device, to interface his double bass to his laptop, and it was set at 44.1kHz. Correcting it resolved the tuning issue and we had a brilliant session this morning (50 miles between us) because of your help. Thank you so much.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.