Low audio levels

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    (@)

I have noticed that the audio level coming back from Soundjack always seems low. Even if my outgoing sound is adequate, as indicated by the needle moving on the big VU meter on the left of the stage, if I connect to myself, the VU meter by my name on the right side of the stage barely moves, even if the volume slider is all the way to the right. The same applies to any peer I connect to. I can hear myself and people I am connected to, but not very loud. If I connect the output of Soundjack to a recording app (Audacity, connecting via Loopback), the sound levels indicated in that app’s level meters are also very low, even with input gain set to maximum (and even with Loopback’s gains at maximum.). Is there some overall setting that affects this? Do others have this problem?

(@)

I think the reason for that is that for most music you connect to more than one musician. Then the levels add up and if they are at the same level as the original input the output might get overdriven with more than one partner playing at the same time.
    It might be nice to be able to store a volume setting in a group for all members of that group, but the levels might change the next time mics are placed (differently) and not leveled in by the same amount as before.

Anonymous
    (@)

Thanks for that reply. IF this were the case, then there should be some detecting of how many musicians are connected and adjusting of levels accordingly. If I am only connected to one (other) musician, I would want to hear that person at 100% of their transmitted level.

I posted the same query on the SoundJack Facebook page, and I have gotten a couple of replies indicating that what comes back from Soundjack should be at the same level as what is transmitted to it, but that does not seem to be the case.

(@)

I think it is a security setting. It is very easy to put the slider for one participant only completely right for full volume. There are different positions and I think Alex wants to avoid support answers for those who don’t understand that adding more partners can overload the output if the individual levels are not put down.
    It should be safe for situations with many participants like choirs and larger ensembles if the participants are not good friends with technology.
    Those who know what to do can do it, but those who cannot (and specially it there are many of them) should get a safe preset.

You can argue the same about the jitter buffers. We all want a jitter buffer number of one. And in many cases it works. But if it doesn’t it might be more problematic to set it from one to a higher number than from a higher (safe) number to a lower one like one.

To decide what would be best we have to look at any use case, not only our own, which indeed is most important to us, but probably not good for others.
    But Alex has to decide that. I’m just arguing from my point of view.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.