How to configure and run a Simple Server (for dummies).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi everybody,
    where is it possible to find some easy instructions on how to configure and run a Simple Server in a local PC running Linux Ubuntu?
    Well, I’ve read the instructions about Simple Server on SERVER FAQ section, and launched the command line “./soundjack SERVER 1 256 2 50050”, and received the following answer:

Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
    BOOST-VERSION: 1_78
    SJC STARTED IN SIMPLE SERVER (SS) MODE
    MIXDOWN CHANNELS: 1
    AUDIO FRAME SIZE: 256
    JITTER BUFFER : 2
    BINDPORT : 50050

but I’m not able to understand how to connect a client SoundJack user to this server.
    Where do I find it?

To be more precise, I’d like to connect 2 users of the same LAN to the WAN, and I’ve understood that it’s necessary to run a simple server session in one of the two PCs of the LAN, so that either the other one (in the same LAN) or the other user (in the WAN) can play together.

How do every one of the three players can join the running server?

Thank you in advance.

(@)

Well, thanks to jazzalex I’ve worked out my own request.
    Here I paste the dialog that led to come to the solution:

jazzalex
    Just look at the Info->Server Tab. It is explained in there.

Salvatore
    Well, I’ve read the instructions about Simple Server on SERVER FAQ section, and launched the following command line in my desktop PC inside my LAN:

“./soundjack SERVER 1 256 2 50050”,

and received the following answer:

Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome.
      Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
      BOOST-VERSION: 1_78
      SJC STARTED IN SIMPLE SERVER (SS) MODE
      MIXDOWN CHANNELS: 1
      AUDIO FRAME SIZE: 256
      JITTER BUFFER : 2
      BINDPORT : 50050

jazzalex
    At the moment you need to install the server on a machine outside your LAN . Do you have the possibility to do so ?

jazzalex
    In most setups you will not need a server anyways – typically p2p is the way to go.

Salvatore
    I know. I like experimenting new ways of using platforms.

Salvatore
    Well, in order to complete the above mentioned experiment, that’s to say how to run a Simple Server on a External Server (GCP – Coogle Cloud Platform) I’ve installed the SJC program and launched the server instance in the GCP Virtual Machine (VM):
    then I’ve created a simple server name in my Soundjack profile, and set the information required;
    after having saved the previous information I’ve selected my private group, in which is present my server name, which seems to bo working, as is shown by hovering the mouse above the server name.
    But when I clic on OK, in order to connect myself to the server I receive a “Failed” notice,
    Where am I wrong?

jazzalex
    There seems to be an error after launching the server on the console which might prevent the server from working.
    However, this error seems to be related to something else. It is more likely that your server has blocked incoming UDP traffic. Have you checked firewalls etc.?
    And before this: Have you ensured that your audio process is running at all ? You can verify this by connecting to your own user name and then choose LAN. If you see “failed” as well then your are is not running and in your case you should check your JACK server settings.

Salvatore
    Well, I’ve tried to follow your tips;
    as to the firewall rules in GCP (Google Cloud Platform – VM ec2-micro) I’ve created a firewall rule.
    Then I’ve started a new instance and tried to connect to the soundjack server, but nothin’s changed;
    then I’ve tried to connect to my own name and it was good

jazzalex
    Are you sure that your filter rule also applies to UDP ? At the moment I can only see SSH as “Connetti”.

Salvatore
    Wow!! Your last advice was great. I’ve simply changed the presetted firewall rules, taking the one who was about SSH protocol, and allowed udp port 50050, and it now works. Thank you Alex

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.