Audient iD4 MKII

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Does anyone have experience with Audient iD4 MKII connecting to Soundjack via FMB? My previous audio interface went comatose, so while I get it repaired, I’m trying to work with iD4. Both SJ and FMB appear to see the device, it is listed, but the audio interface status on FMB is a red X, and I’m all red when I get on stage. Any advice on what/where to troubleshoot first?

Thanks!
    —Debbie

(@)

Since no one has answered yet:
    Ask Symonics since it is FMB-related.
    I don’t have a FMB, so it’s mostly guessing what could have gone wrong or why it won’t work.

The iD4 is not listed on the Symonics website as a working interface, but the iD44 is. Drivers are the same for Mac and Windows, so the chances are good that the iD4 should work too.
    But it might depend on the interface’s USB identification, that should be different on these two models. Maybe the USB ID for the iD4 is not in the list of supported interfaces and therefor the interface is not accepted by the driver.

It might be that the update process didn’t work, so reboot and try again. I doubt that’s the case here, but a reboot is always a good idea if something goes wrong.

It might be something else like a faulty connection to the interface or the router.

A screen shot might have helped to see what the red X can mean.
    All red at your name on the stage usually means no connection to the SoundJack-controller (because of a firewall or not running the SoundJack-controller at all or wrong version of the SoundJack-controller).

But that’s an FMB-related problem, so please check with Symonics.
    Keep in mind that you already paid for the Symonics support buying your FMB.

(@)

Thank you so much for your response, Jörg. You are spot on! It was indeed FMB related. There was a massive update coming down and my FMB was still in the middle of it. Once that completed, I was able to get on Stage and connect with others. I even had a successful lesson.

I did reach out to the Symonics folks and they were kind enough to respond with information. I’d like to share that here in case others are interested in Audient iD4 MKII. iD4 is not one of the tested interfaces today, and that’s why the audio interface status is a red X, as you point out and also confirmed by Symonics. But it doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t work with Soundjack. It means that it’s not recognized by FMB as a supported interface. I understand from the Symonics folks that when FMB sees a previously unknown interface, they receive a notification from it, and as long as the latency is acceptable, the new interface will be added to the supported list and will show a green check mark the next time an update is pushed out.

I also learned about running the latency test. Even though the interface isn’t yet recognized, I saw that the interface name gets displayed correctly along with the USB ID, gain and frame size in the audio interface status section of the FMB portal. What I was missing was the latency measurement. It was blank. I was advised to get the gain within the accepted range (-10dB to +10dB) and then run the test. (Both the mic and headphone must be plugged in.) My gain was initially -30dB, but by adjusting the mic gain and mix volume, I was able to get it down (up?) to -8.5dB and the latency measurement came up! It showed 32ms. I don’t know if that’s fast enough to be accepted to the “golden” list, but as I mentioned earlier, I had a successful lesson on Soundjack with it. Even with the latency measurement and successful connection, the audio interface status remains a red X for the reason explained above.

(@)

Thanks a lot for responding and explaining. I like to learn something new, so I can help in similar situations. And it would be helpful for others reading this which is the basic idea of this forum.

The latency measurement shows a rather large number, but since I don’t know what this test measures, it might be OK.
    If you can adjust the sample buffer size (audio buffer) to a value of 64 or 128 and do the test again you might get smaller numbers … or not.

If I measure interface latency, I loop the output of the interface back to the input and let a program fire an impulse out and let the program measure the time until the input delivers the impulse back to the software. So no network traffic involved there.
    I use a software named “pure data” (pd) together with a patch (a little program written in pure data) that can measure the latency (precision is not that high, but gives a hint, depends on the settings of the software). It’s a programming software for musicians (mostly used by classical electronic composers, but also improvising musicians) that I have used some years ago and someone else wrote that latency-test that I use. I think pd is also available for the raspberry pi, but if you are not used to it, setting the audio interface connection values might be a bit hidden.

I have measure several of my audio interfaces on my Mac and Windows computer (both older machines). A value of 24 to 36 is typical for an audio buffer size of 256. For an audio buffer size of 128 I get values of 10 (12) to 23 ms and for an audio buffer size of 64 values between 4 (8) and 18 ms. But an audio buffer size of 64 puts a high processor load on my old machines.

So you might check if you can set the audio buffer size in the latency test program and check again with 128 and 64. BTW, there is a list of tested interfaces and their latencies on the FMB website. It is a bit hidden. Go to the store, then to the FMB software. There you find a link to build instructions for your own FMB box and there you find the link to the tested interfaces. They are all run with an audio buffer size of 64, so don’t wonder about the low values. Check yours with an audio buffer size of 64 and only then you can compare the latencies.

At the end the effective sound latency collaborating with others is the most important. I always recommend 64/256/1 (sample buffer/network buffer/jitter buffers) or 64/256/2 if the first does not work well. Sometimes 64/128/1 or 64/128/2 works, that would be faster, but often results in a lot of audio artifacts.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.